El Presidio de Santa Barbara State Historic Park, at the intersection of Santa Barbara and East Canon Perdido Streets in downtown Santa Barbara, was the last in a chain of four military fortresses built by the Spanish along the coast of Alta California, at that time a wilderness frontier.
The Santa Barbara outpost was built in 1782, and it served as the Spanish military and government headquarters for the lands between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo until 1846. The buildings of the Presidio formed a quadrangle around a central parade ground. The buildings themselves were surrounded by an outer defense wall with two cannon bastions.
Two original buildings have been restored and five other reconstructed. The lieutenant's quarters, which are open to tours and special groups, are decorated with reproduction furniture and accessories. One of the rooms in the living quarters features a group of floor tiles retrieved from an on-site archeological dig.
The park is open to the public daily from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information, call (805) 965-0093.