Upper Santa Ynez River
Mono Campground has three campsites which are all "Walk-in" only sites. The walk from the parking lot to the campsites is approximately 300 yards. The camp sites feature a meadow, shade, many large trees, next to river- water will be low in summer.
Reservations: First come, first served.
Camp Cost: None.
Restrictions: Must pack out garbage. No motor vehicles in walk-in sites or meadow.
Restrooms: Vault toilets
- Follow Gibraltar Road for 7 miles to Camino Cielo.
- Turn right on Camino Cielo and follow the crest road for 5.8 miles to Romero Saddle then drop down an additional 4.6 miles on a rough dirt road to the Santa Ynez River crossing where the road leading up to Jameson Reservoir takes off on the right.
- Continue past the crossing an additional 3.6 miles until you reach the P-Bar Flats car campground.
Mono Campground has three campsites which are all "Walk-in" only sites. The walk from the parking lot to the campsites is approximately 300 yards. The camp sites feature a meadow, shade, many large trees, next to river- water will be low in summer. The campground is usually full on weekends during deer hunting season, mid August through late September. The Mono Debris Dam is close to the campground. The Cold Springs Trailhead is located in the parking area and Little Caliente Hot Springs is 2 miles away. The last mile of Little Caliente Road is closed and a short 5 minute walk provides access to the Little Caliente Hot Springs.
The last 12 miles of driving to Mono Campground is on dirt roads. The last section of steep dirt road before Mono Campground becomes slippery during wet weather. Vehicles may have to wait for up to a week for this section to dry out, so not advisable to use this area of the forest during wet weather.
The camp long used as a camp site was improved by the CCC in 1938 and was the site of a spike camp during the construction of the Mono Debris Dam at the north end of the camp area. Below the dam is a large swimming and fishing hole. Silt and sand has filled the one time lake above the darn to the top of the dam.
The Mono Forest Station was housed in an old adobe which was built in 1906. It was destroyed by a flood in 1978.