La Purísima Mission State Historic Park is the site of Misión la Purísima Concepción de María Santísimas, one of the most completely restored of the 21 Spanish missions in California. The park is three miles northeast of Lompoc on Purísima Road. Founded in 1787, it is the largest and most authentic mission restoration project in the American West.
The park contains the church, shops, quarters, springhouse, cemetery and mission gardens. The original mission was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812, and later rebuilt at its present location. During the 1930s, the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps restored many of the mission’s adobe buildings.
The park features a Visitor Center with information, displays and artifacts. A self-guided tour takes visitors back in time for a glimpse of life in California in the early 1880s. Special living history events are scheduled throughout the year. For more information, call (805) 733-3713.